Paper catalogue is still preferred by clients having no easy access to new technologies: craftsmen, stock-keepers, field technicians, construction workers, etc.
Competing with new electronic media, paper catalogues need experience both cost reduction and edition frequency increase.
Several evolutions can bring the expected benefit: internationalized content to reduce the number of local editions and increase the number of printed copies, automated publication, reduction in the number of colours, overseas printing.
These evolutions tend to draw pre-press, where automated data processing is key, out of the traditional graphic process.
Making Paper Catalogues both Richer and Simplier
Since 1990, Abaque achieves paper catalogues with house-developped automated publication tools (database publishing). Thanks to this experience, Abaque masters all steps of paper catalogues production:
- General catalogue Design: structure, navigation, balance between texts - images - pictograms, layout according to an existing or new graphic chart,
- Illustration with automated images production, for example to show several versions of a same product,
- Valorization of data in any format: Spreadsheet (Excel, Lotus, etc.), database (Access, Paradox, dBase, FoxPro, etc.), simple text, etc.
- Creation and maintenance of an images database,
- Complex Text and Images layout on paper,
- Electronic proofs in Acrobat PDF format,
- Supply of professional-quality files or films for client-ordered printing.
This technology provides Abaque clients important cost and delay reductions for their catalogue projects:
- Several local editions replaced by a single international edition:
- Reduced pre-press cost
- Reduced printing cost by increased number of copies
- Simplified production process
- Low pre-press cost sensibility to total number of pages,
- Reduced cost and delay for proof reviews,
- Reduced re-edition costs